SUBJECT AREA GOALS:
- To introduce scholars to a variety of literary works and instill in them a critical appreciation for great literature.
- To develop in scholars an ever-increasing proficiency in reading, analyzing, understanding and interpreting written works.
- To provide scholars with the skills necessary to express themselves in both written and oral communications.
- Scholars must complete 4 years of English.
Scholars seeking honors Distinction in English must register for the honors class sections and meet the following requirements:
- Complete all English classes with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5.
- Read at least TEN (10) classics from the Heritage Academy Classics List. Books assigned for class work do not count towards the 10. The books on the list marked with an (*) will count towards this award. At least seven (7) out of the ten (10) need to be from the Literature category on the list.
- Meet with an English teacher for a discussion after each book is completed.
- Write Scholarly papers through their four years:
Expository, Narrative, Persuasive, Rhetorical Analysis, Research Paper, Poetry
- Show skill in public speaking in the following categories:
Exposition, Persuasion, Rhetorical Analysis, Poetic Expression
- Schedule a meeting with the English department in April of your senior year to discuss books and finalize distinction.
Note: The curriculum for Junior and Senior will alternate between British and World Literature. British Literature will be offered in the 2016-2017 calendar school year, with World Literature offered the following school year.